This is a first that I have seen … mahjong cake. If only it came as a whole set, that would be cool. Play and eat at the same time … though I don’t know how sanitary it is.
After the salty turnip cake, time to make a sweet taro cake. Compared to the turnip cake, it is much simpler process.
- Dice up the taro into cubes.
- Boil the taro cubes in a wok until it is tendered
- In another pot, boil a cup of water with a cup of rock sugar until melted and let it cool.
- In a bowl, start mixing the bag of rice flour with a cup of water, add the cool sugar water into the flour as well until blend and no clumps. 2 cups of water in total.
- Mix in the soft taro into the rice flour paste into the steaming pan.
- In the wok, boil water and put the taro mixture and steam for about 40 minutes until cooked.
It turned out pretty good, it wasn’t that sweet so if you prefer sweeter, add more rock sugar. Now I’m all ready for Chinese new year!